Also by Marcello Di Cintio
Harmattan: Wind Across West Africa
Poets and Pahlevans: A Journey Into the Heart of Iran
All rights reserved. No part of this work may be reproduced or used in any form
or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording or any retrieval system, without the prior written permission of the publisher or a licence from the Canadian Copyright Licensing Agency (Access Copyright). To contact Access Copyright, visit www.accesscopyright.ca or call 1-800-893-5777.
Edited by John Vigna.
Cover image: El Muro by Daniel Lobo, DaquellaManera.org
Cover and page design by Julie Scriver.
Library and Archives Canada Cataloguing in Publication
Di Cintio, Marcello, 1973-
Walls: travels along the barricades / Marcello Di Cintio.
Issued also in print format.
1. Di Cintio, Marcello, 1973- — Travel. 2. Walls— Social aspects.
3. Barricades (Military Science)— Social aspects.
4. Human geography. I. Title.
NA493.D52 2012 355.4’4 C2012-902941-6
Goose Lane Editions acknowledges the generous support of the Canada Council for the Arts, the Government of Canada through the Canada Book Fund (CBF), and the Government of New Brunswick through the Department of Culture, Tourism, and Healthy Living.
Goose Lane Editions
500 Beaverbrook Court, Suite 330
Fredericton, New Brunswick
CANADA E3B 5X4
Table of Contents
- Introduction The Wall Disease
- Drawing a Line in the Sand The Western Sahara
- The Bogeyman is Coming Ceuta and Melilla
- Zero People of No Man’s Land The Indo-Bangladesh Fence
- A Nakba of Olives The West Bank Wall
- Walling Absurd Nicosia/Lefkoşa
- Shun Thy Neighbour The U.S.–Mexico Border
- The Mutilated City Belfast
- The Great Wall of Montreal The The l’Acadie Fence